At Senate probe, Charlie ‘Atong’ Ang, cops linked to e-sabong abductions

CONTROVERSIAL E-SABONG OPERATOR Charlie Atong Ang at a Senate committee hearing on e-sabong and disappearance of 31 afficionados

PASAY CITY – A cockpit worker has tagged gaming operator Charlie “Atong” Tiu Hay Sy Ang as the person behind the disappearance of a number of online cockfighting personalities.

This as five policemen were tagged by at least four witnesses as behind the “kidnapping” last year of an e-sabong “master agent” in his Laguna residence, a Senate panel revealed.

Ang, who revealed in earlier Senate hearings his group, Lucky 8 Star Quest Inc.  earns billions of pesos from the e-sabong operations, immediately denied the claim by panel witness Alvin Indon and said Laguna provincial police chief Col. Rogart Campo was trying to pin him down.

During earlier hearings, Ang named six personalities whom he said is also involved in the disappearance of the cockfight players, namely, fellow online cockfighting operator and alleged “jueteng” lord Rodolfo “Bong” Pineda, former congressman Patrick Antonio, Mayor Elan Nagaño, Cong. Arnulfo “Arnie” Teves Jr. and former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Camilo Cascolan..

The revelations were made during the  third hearing of the Senate Committee on Public Order and Dangerous Drugs chaired by Sen. Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa, a former  Philippine National Police (PNP) chief,  on the more than 30 missing cockfighting aficionados.

At the hearing, PNP Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) Director Eliseo Cruz said they will file appropriate charges against the five policemen before the Department of Justice.

He told Dela Rosa’s panel that the suspects were identified from the 28 photos provided to the witnesses by the police.

“This is in connection with the case of Ricardo Lasco, a master agent of e-sabong who was kidnapped by about 10 armed men in his residence in San Pablo, Laguna on August 30, 2021,” said Cruz.

Meanwhile, three police officers who were implicated in the purported disappearance of an e-sabong (online cockfighting) “master agent” in San Pablo City, Laguna have been placed under restrictive custody, the Philippine National Police said.
 PNP spokesperson Col. Jean Fajardo said these cops are now under restrictive custody at the headquarters of the Police Regional Office (PRO)  4-A (Calabarzon) and are set to face charges in the coming days.

Sa ngayon, tatlo yung mga nabanggit during the Senate hearing plus yung mga nauna na natin mga nakuhang statement prior dito sa Senate hearing, may iba pa po tayong iniimbestigahan. Sila sa ngayon ang may positive identification based dito sa nawawalang master agent at yung iba pa po nating iniimbestigahang mga pulis ay kasama yan kung tatanungin natin yung ating mga imbestigador dahil nga may mga ilan pa tayong hinihintay na report para to confirm their participation doon sa nasabi nating insidente (So far, the three mentioned during the Senate hearing plus the previous statements we obtained prior to this Senate hearing, we are investigating other angles. They now have a positive identification based on the missing master agent. The other policemen we are investigating are included if we are to ask our investigators because we are still waiting for some reports to confirm their participation),” Fajardo said.

Fajardo also said the police provincial director of Laguna, Col. Rogart Campo, has been relieved after he allegedly received P1 million from businessman Atong Ang as revealed during a Senate hearing.

Ang accused Campo of taking part in the supposed conspiracy against him by other e-sabong stakeholders.

At least two police officers, Pat. Roy Navarete and Staff Sgt. Daryl Paghangaan, were identified by some relatives of the e-sabong “master agent” Ricardo Lasco as among those who abducted him in August last year.

Prior to the Senate hearing on the disappearances of over 30 cockfight enthusiasts, Fajardo said the cops have already been relieved from their posts over their alleged involvement in the incidents.

Aside from Navarete and Paghangaan, the PRO-4A also identified master Sgt. Michael Claveria as one of the involved cops.

PRO-4A chief Brig. General Antonio Yarra said he already ordered the relief of the three police personnel from their present assignments and had them transferred to the regional headquarters.

“We will make sure that all facts and information regarding this matter will be taken into consideration for the quick resolution of these cases and to give justice to the families of the missing victims,” he said.

PNP Public Information Office (PIO) chief Brig. Gen. Roderick Alba said the PNP will not take the witnesses’ accounts lightly but it will make sure that due process is upheld in this case.

PNP chief Gen. Dionardo Carlos has been reminding police personnel to refrain from engaging in e-sabong and other gambling activities.