The second richest Filipino is Filipino-Spanish port and casino magnate Enrique Razon Jr. of International Container Terminal Services Inc., the country’s leading ports operator; Bloomberry Resorts and Solaire Hotel and Casino Resort, Manila Water, and More Power and Electric Corp. with a net worth of $6.7 billion or P343.77 billion. He climbed to the 369th spot from his 561st ranking last year among the world’s billionaires, Forbes said.
Completing the top 10 is San Miguel Corporation president and CEO Ramon Ang, who has an overall ranking of 1513th and net worth of $2 billion (around ₱102.9 billion).
JG Summit’s Lance Gokongwei came next who was valued at $1.6 billion (around ₱82.32 billion). JG Summit operates the Robinson’s Malls, Cebu Pacific Airlines, Go Hotels and other companies.
Landing 2190th is Jollibee Food’s Tony Tan Caktiong with a net worth of $1.3 billion (around ₱66.89 billion).
Monde Nissin’s Betty Ang, LT Group’s Lucio Tan, and Converge ICT Solutions’ Maria Grace Uy all tied at 2324th with a net worth of $1.2 billion (around ₱61.73 billion).
The Filipinos in the World’s Billionaire’s List 2022 are:
- #263 Manny Villar (net worth of $8.3 billion)
- #369 Enrique Razon (net worth of $6.7 billion)
- #1096 Henry Sy Jr (net worth $2.8 billion)
- #1096 Andrew Tan (net worth $2.8 billion)
- #1196 Hans Sy (net worth $2.6 billion)
- #1196 Herbert Sy (net worth $2.6 billion)
- #1292 Harley Sy (net worth $2.4 billion)
- #1292 Teresita Sy-Coson (net worth $2.4 billion)
- #1445 Elizabeth Sy (net worth $2.1 billion)
- #1513 Ramon Ang (net worth $2 billion)
- #1818 Lance Gokongwei (net worth $1.6 billion)
- #2190 Tony Tan Caktiong (net worth $1.3 billion)
- #2324 Betty Ang (net worth $1.2 billion)
- #2324 Lucio Tan (net worth $1.2 billion)
- #2324 Maria Grace Uy (net worth $1.2 billion)
- #2578 Nari Genomal (net worth $1 billion)
- #2578 Ramesh Genomal (net worth $1 billion)
- #2578 Sunder Genomal (net worth $1 billion)
- * #2578 Roberto Ongpin (net worth $1 billion)
- #2578 Dennis Anthony Uy (net worth $1 billion)
For 2022, Forbes listed 2,668 billionaires around the world, lower than last year’s 2,755 billionaires who have a collective value of $12.7 trillion.
Forbes noted that the COVID-19 pandemic, coupled with sluggish markets and the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict hit the world’s billionaires this year.
Despite the pandemic, Tesla’s Elon Musk emerged as the world’s richest with a net worth of $219 billion.
Musk’s portfolio includes Tesla, SpaceX, The Boring Company, among others. He also recently bought over 9 percent stake in the social media platform Twitter.
Amazon and Blue Origin’s Jeff Bezos, LVMH’s Bernard Arnault and family, Microsoft’s Bill Gates and investing legend Warren Buffet rounded up the world’s top 5 billionaires. (Claire Morales True)